Built-in wardrobes help to save space and keep rooms looking clean. However, if you discover mould within your wardrobe space you need to take immediate action.

The Danger of Spores

Mould produces spores which become airborne whenever the mould is disturbed. This means that every time you open your wardrobe you may be exposed to mould spores. Not only can these spores cause damage to your clothes, causing stains and odours, they can also trigger allergies and exacerbate respiratory illnesses such as asthma. The young, the elderly and those with pre-existing conditions are most at risk.

While bleach can be used to remove mold found in bathrooms and on the walls of other rooms, it cannot generally be used within wardrobes. Even when diluted, bleach is a very strong agent which could eat away at the paint or gloss, causing damage and discolouration to the wooden interior.

How to Attack Mould

Firstly, you should remove any mould patches which are visible within the wardrobe. You should wear a protective mask to avoid breathing in mould spores, soak a cloth in a solution that is a 50/50 mix of water and white vinegar, and then wipe the solution over the mould affected area. This should remove the outer layer of the mould. The area may now look clean, but invisible spores may still remain. To remove ensure these spores are removed, wipe the area again using undiluted white vinegar and leave to dry. Finally, rinse the surface with cold water and dry with a towel. 


Now that you have killed existing mold within your wardrobe you should take measures to make sure it does not return. The two major causes of mould within wardrobes are condensation and damp clothing. Wardrobes are susceptible to mould when the airflow is restricted, trapping condensation and causing mould. Damp clothing further increases the amount of moisture with the wardrobe. Moisture and the dark conditions within a wardrobe make it the ideal place for mould to grow. You should avoid hanging damp clothing within the wardrobe as this will increase the likelihood of mold. Clothes stored in a mould affected wardrobe should be washed or dry cleaned to remove spores. You should also avoid overfilling the wardrobe. Clothes pressed up close together will encourage the spread of mould spores, as the mould grows from the fibres of one item to another. You may also consider using a dehumidifier to remove excess moisture from within the room.

While mould is unpleasant, if rapid action is taken to combat and prevent further outbreaks, it can be easily dealt with.